Thursday, December 6, 2007

Teaching in Higher Education

Description:

I was recently given the opportunity to deliver a subject at university level. It involved managing and teaching a subject that was manadatory for all 4th year students enrolled in the BEd course at the university. The cohort also included some 3rd year students and some students who were from an intial mid-year intake. The subject was also offered to Masters students and was available in a variety of modes (internal, external and RATEP).



The students who had come to the subject via the full 4 year education course had previous knowledge and skills in the subject area that was the focus of the subject. They also came with experience in the classroom mostly having completed 3rd and 4th year practicum.



Armed with this knowledge of my learners I began to do some broad research of the subject. I looked at previous lecture notes, readings, subject outlines and assessment samples to get a 'feel' for the scope of the subject. I also considered what the students may need to demonstrate in the eyes of their potential employers with regard to the content of the subject. I came to understand that there was a need to align the required assessment with the objectives of the subject and external parameters determined by professional standards.



This led to research into the professional requirements for teachers in the current public sector with regard to the particular topic. I came to realise that the best way for the students to demonstrate their skills and knowledge was to do something similar to what is required in the public system and make it relevant to employment.

No comments: